"Some Things" from the Week (2.5.17)

Thursday, February 16, 2017

First, I am days late on this post, but better late than never, right? I am beginning to think that should be the mantra of my life. Here's a recap of my week for last week...

1. Something new I did...

I actually forgot to write about this in last week's, post, but I did it again this past Friday, so it is still relevant. In addition to attending 6am on yoga on Wednesdays, I have also started attending another 6am class held on Fridays. So far, I have made it to two Friday classes in a row. The class is a mix of yoga, aerobic activity, light weights, and floor work exercises. Think leg lifts, mountain climbers, etc. Basically, think anything that makes your abs, butt, and legs scream. This class is making me remember muscles that I completely forgot about.

2. Something (else) I forgot about...

Apparently, this was the week of forgetting.  I also forgot to write about our brief visit to our old house. We went to a birthday party two weekends ago, and we had to stop by our old house on the way to pick up mail that was delivered there. It was such a strange feeling to pull into our old driveway. In a way, it felt like we never left, but how odd it felt watching my husband walk up to the front door and knock. When he came back he said, "I can't believe how small it is. How did we do it as long as we did?" How many times we all say something like that about a part of our past. But you just do it. You make it work. I need to remember that the next time I encounter something that I think is difficult or even impossible.

3. Something I realized...

I am pretty sure that it was this last week that would be exactly one year ago (or very close to it), when we ran into our friends and learned about the house we are living in now. We we were attending an open house down the street. When we left the house, our friends drove by and stopped to say hi. We hadn't seen them in months...maybe even years. It was then that they mentioned to us that the people who lived in our house (the house we actually live in now) would be putting their house on the market. We actively pursued this lead from that day forward....and it ACTUALLY worked out. If we hadn't attended that open house, would we be here today? Isn't it funny how life plays out sometimes? It makes me wonder how much of our life is really all about chance and coincidences.

4. Something that made me cry happy tears...

A student with a disability was given the opportunity to make the final shot in a basketball game, and she made it...and the crowd went wild. The joy that is felt in this video makes my heart happy.

5. Something else that made me cry...

I read an article about individuals on a New York City subway that was covered in Nazi graffiti. At first, everyone sat there in silence until a man spoke up and said, "Hand sanitizer gets rid of Sharpie." Someone provided the hand sanitizer and everyone got to work to wipe away the hateful messages. If only hand sanitizer could clean up the hate everywhere...

6. Something I love...

Snow days! We had a snow day on Thursday. School was cancelled, and the three of us got to spend the day together. Unfortunately, I still had to work, so I did end up leaving for a few hours to get some things done. But it was still a pretty fun day. We ate a big breakfast and took a snowy walk in the woods. As much as I don't like the cold, the world after a snowfall is just breathtakingly beautiful. It is such a temporary kind of beautiful. It doesn't take long for the snow to get dirty and trampled on,  and for the world to come back to life, but the peacefulness at first is like no other. Enjoy it while you can.

7. Something that I am excited about...

The new season of Girls. Yes, I love this show. I recently had a conversation about this show with some friends, and they seemed to agree that the show is just a little "too much" for them and by "too much" they meant raunchy. Yes, it may have it's moments, but I love the stories that the show tells about people...young people with hopes and dreams who are being hit by the reality of life. I think it's great.

8. Something I want to read...

Going with the theme of Girls, I just found out (how did I not know this) that Lena Dunham has a memoir, Not That Kind of Girl. Lena is such a talented writer - and given my love of reading about the creative lives of writers, I am adding this to the top of my list of books I want to read.

9. Something I would like to do...

I think it's time that I step away from my personal Facebook, and instead use social media to connect on a more creative level. I want my feed to inspire me rather than frustrate me. I want to check in occasionally, but right now, I waste too much precious time scrolling mindlessly. It reminds me of Old Lady Jackson's advice in Lauren Graham's Talking As Fast As I Can...
"Look up! Look up! What you see might surprise you."

10. Something that made my heart happy...

I will end this with another moment of gratitude. We had a visit from friends who mean a great deal to us. They hadn't seen our little one since her birthday, and so they came to see her and gave her such sweet gifts. My dear friend, who I don't get to see nearly as much as I would like, brought her son who is 11. He is so wonderful with our little girl. I can't get over how much she loves him and how kind he is to her. Watching him play with her as I sat with my friend filled my heart with such joy.

Well, that's a wrap from last week. It is hard to believe that this week's end is almost here. It's been a fun Valentine's week, and I'm looking forward to sharing some more joys of the week.

Have a beautiful rest of your week!

Curiously,

Beth




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top