"Some things" From the Week (1.29.17)

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Another week is over - and poof! - January is gone, and we are almost a full week into February. We had a blast during the month of January (how many people do you know who actually say that?!), but we are excited to be getting closer and closer to spring. Here are some things from the week...

1. Something I love...

For our little one's birthday, we bought her a new play table and chairs from Land of Nod (I guess it is actually called an activity table, but we still call it her play table). Eventually, we will use it as her desk. The coolest part is that we can buy large legs to make the table even higher so that she can grown into it. We decided to get different color chairs to add more color to her playroom, and given the hefty price per chair, we started out with just two: yellow and spruce. We hope to add two more colors over the next year.

2. Something else I love...

Did you ever hear of the book Black Cat & White Cat? It is an adorable book that tells a story about a black cat who lives in a white house and a white cat who lives in a black house. When they visit each other, they cannot play together because they disappear when visiting the house that is the same color as that they are. The solution? The two cats must meet in the middle "that's not too black or too white." They end up meeting in a beautiful place filled with different colors. It's a pretty super message, and I love it so much.

3. Something I learned this week...

You should ALWAYS take your shoes off when in someone's house. I already am that annoying person who asks everyone to remove their shoes before entering my house. I always felt that it was pretty gross to leave shoes on, and I knew some of the things that people could track in, but I didn't know everything. Attention, everyone everywhere: please remove your shoes as soon as you enter someone else's home. Just assume that your hosts would like you take off your shoes. Trust me, if they don't care, they will tell you to leave your shoes on. But honestly, most will be silently thanking you for saving them the uncomfortable moment of having to ask you to take off part of your outfit.

4. Something I am curious about...

I find it curious how upset people get when Punxatawney Phil sees his shadow. Let's think about this for a moment. If we ONLY have six more weeks of winter, that would actually be an early spring for many places. After all, occasional snow in April is definitely not unheard, so let's all rejoice about the possibility of spring starting on March 17. Actually, isn't the first day of spring March 20th? So, we've actually set up the groundhog forecast to give us an early spring regardless of whether he sees his shadow. Whoa...am I the first person who ever realized this? Okay, I am putting way too much thought into this fun groundhog tradition. But seriously people, let's be optimists here. If spring truly arrives on March 17, let's celebrate!

5. Something I want to do this week...

I hope to finally write about our little one's 2nd birthday party. Also, I would like to recap my progress with My Happiness Project for January and share some of my goals for February. I know, it's presumptuous of me to think anyone else wants to hear about this, but it's a little accountability for me!

6. Something that brought me joy...

Sitting with my daughter at her play table while we both read books made my heart full. My little one shares my love for books, and this could not make me happier.

7. Something I am reading...

I started a new book: Hungry Heart: Adventures in Life, Love, and Writing. I love reading about other people's creative work and their way of living a creative life. This probably explains my love for Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear and Talking As Fast As I Can and also why I am reading The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity.  If you have read my previous posts, you would also notice that I am currently reading five books. I already finished Talking As Fast As I Can, but I am still reading the others. I am also reading The Happiness Project and How to Talk to Kids So Kids Will Listen and How to Listen So Kids Will Talk. I told you. I love books.

8. Something I want to read...

Yes, I know. Like I really need to add another book to my list. I can't help it... almost every day I learn about a new book that piques my interest, or I remember a book that I always wanted to read, but haven't gotten around to yet. Although it doesn't look like it from my current reading list, I love fiction, and I need to add a good story to my reading. I am also a huge fan of Liane Moriarty. I haven't read her new book, Truly, Madly, Guilty yet, and I am itching to start it. Getting lost in a story is a wonderful feeling, and that is something I need right now. As one very smart person said, "Reading is dreaming with open eyes." Why, yes. Yes, it is.

9. Something I am grateful for...

I am grateful for so many things right now. At this moment, as the weekend is winding down, I am grateful for a fun-filled weekend with the people I love. My little family and I spent a beautiful morning eating breakfast on a farm yesterday, and then we spent the afternoon with friends celebrating their daughter's first birthday. I ended the day with glasses of wine with two special friends who also happen to live right across the street from me. This is one of those weekends where I feel like I hit the jackpot.

Here's to another curiously beautiful week.

Curiously,

Beth

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top