"Some Things" from the Week (2.12.17)

Monday, February 20, 2017

Well, I know that I just wrote my "Some Things" from the previous week, so here I go again, recapping yet another week. It is really not my intention for this blog to just be about weekly recaps, but for now, this is keeping me in the routine of writing. Plus, it was a pretty fun week, so here it goes...

1. Something I made...

Tuesday was Valentine's Day. So, on Monday, my little one (L) and I made a Valentine for Daddy. I found the idea on Pinterest, but then visited the original post from the blog, Kitchen Fun with My Three Sons. This blog has great craft and baking ideas to do with your little ones. We ended up skipping the paper bag and just used construction paper and made some minor modifications. But I am still proud of how it turned out. L was so excited to show Daddy, and I think he was pretty impressed (I have zero artistic ability). Later that day, we also made chocolate chip cookies with red and pink sprinkles. It was a fun Valentine's Day treat. I even let L eat a cookie for breakfast on Valentine's Day morning.

2. Something my husband made...

We made Valentine's treat bags for L's daycare class last weekend, but we didn't do anything for the teachers yet. I was thinking a Starbucks gift card (I know, I am not very original). Then I thought, rather than go out and buy a card to stick the gift card in, I bet there are neat homemade card ideas. Once again, thank goodness for Pinterest! We found this Pinterest idea, but then ended up putting our own spin on them. This is what we came up with, and I love them...



Thank goodness my husband, P, has some artistic skills!

3. A song that I love...

At yoga a few weeks ago, I heard a song I love: Furr by Blitzen Trapper (a band I never heard of before). It has an old timey folk sound that I love. I didn't know the song's title or artist until this week. It is a great song.

4. Something I learned...

I never heard of Hygge before this week (pronounced hooga, by the way).  P sometimes watches Vice News on HBO, and the other night he turned on a short clip which was about hygge. Usually, when he turns on TV, I am reading, writing, or working, so I usually do not pay close attention to what he is watching. Plus, he and I have very different tastes on what we find entertaining, so I am usually not interested in his TV selections. But as I continued doing what I was doing, I heard words like hot cocoa, wooly socks, and consciously cozy and I was hooked. I started watching and couldn't stop (it was only 5-minutes long). This brings me to...

5. Something I want to learn...

I want to learn more about hygge and how to bring hygge elements to my home. I mean, who does not want to be consciously cozy? Some examples of hygge include hot cocoa, cakes, candles, roaring fires, comfy clothes, and snuggling under a cozy blanket with a good book. I mean, can I become a hygge guru because I think I would be pretty good at it.

6. Something I want to read...

Well, of course, there is a book about hygge that I want to read: The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living. I almost bought it when I took L to Barnes and Noble on Friday, but I didn't, and now I have been regretting it ever since. That is, I was regretting in until I found it on barnesandnoble.com, where it is almost eight dollars cheaper! Why is that, anyway? Isn't it the same store? I also just found a coupon on their website for 20% off, so I think I may be placing an order later today.


7. Something I am reading now (sort of)...

When we were in Barnes and Noble, I ended up buying Truly, Madly, Guilty (it's 50% off at B&N right now!), and I started reading it later that night. I already love it and can't wait to dive back in, but I have put it on hold right now (hence the "sort of" note above) because of....

8. Something ironic...

I am also reading, The Artist's Way, which is basically a 12-week course on how to tap into your creative talents and passions. Each week is filled with readings and exercises. I just started Week 4. I was suppose to wrap up Week 3 on Thursday, but I wrapped it up on Saturday morning instead. The last part of the week's reading presented the mandatory task of the week: Reading Deprivation. For an entire week, I am supposed to abandon reading completely. Yes, this happened right after I purchased a book that I am dying to read, not to mention the five (yes, FIVE) other books that I am also reading right now. It is a little bit like torture. Full disclosure: I will not be participating in the Reading Deprivation task as it recommended (the author even provides the warning at the beginning of the chapter: Do not skip the tool of reading deprivation). Sorry, Author Ms. Cameron.

I have made three exceptions to my reading deprivation: work (I have to work), reading to L (I will not refuse to read to her for an entire week), and my morning readings (every morning, I read a daily excerpt from The Book of Awakening - so I guess that means I am technically reading seven books right now...oh my). I will, however, refrain from reading social media, all other books, and anything online that is not work related - that means no looking up random questions or reading the news or other random articles. I believe the point of the exercise is to fill our time with activities and to eliminate distractions, so I think my modified use of the reading deprivation "tool" will still produce similar results. If not, oh well. I can always try a redo of this come summer when work is slow (but I will still ALWAYS read to L).

9. Something I want to do...

Perhaps now because I have learned a little bit about hygge, I am inspired to make the atmosphere in our home really nice. Right now, it's good enough, but we still have that "just moved in" feel in several areas of our home even though we have lived here for almost seven months. We have a morning room off our kitchen that we use as our dining room. The room is filled with windows that overlooks our wooded backyard, and so this space is positively my favorite room in the house. I don't spend nearly as much time in this room as I should. I just started doing my morning reading and writing in here. It is a lovely way to start my day with a cup of coffee and the morning sun spilling in through the windows. I want to spend more time here, and I think if we added a comfortable reading chair that I would enjoy this room more.  I would really like to create a little reading nook, but the trick is for the furniture to go with our table and chairs. Because we use this space for our dining room, I don't want the additional furniture to make the room feel cluttered or awkward. It looks like I have some Pinterest homework to do. Pinterest is allowed during my Reading Deprivation Week, right? I mean I will just browse pictures - NO READING REQUIRED).

10. Something I am curious about...

I have a guitar sitting in our basement. Years ago, I tried to teach myself how to play. I am curious about giving this a try again. I think L would love it. Yes, I think it is time to make some music and sing.

Have a beautiful week!

Curiously,

Beth

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top